In late April (this year) I started out as a novice replacing our main bathroom. Last night I finished the bathroom project, and although still a novice, I’ve certainly learned a thing or two.
It’s taken me two months, and a lots of hours of work, late at night and during weekends. I could have paid someone to do this, but I wanted the satisfaction of understanding how it works, and it’s been a nice distraction from work.
The Final Outcome
The bathroom now looks nice and clean, spacious and modern, while retaining some of the history of the house (I’ve left the old radiator in, the door and window frames are the same). We have a new toilet, sink and taps, bath and taps, new floor, new tiles, new light, new mirror and rails. We’ve kept the old shower (which is actually quite new).
It should be good for many years (and baths) to come!
What I’ve Enjoyed
The most rewarding moments have been grouting the tiles (turns an ugly looking wall into a very nice finish), fitting the skirting board and connecting up the taps. The one job I paid for was fitting the tiles – this took an experienced handyman a whole day just to cut and fix the tiles – I did most of the grouting. This would have taken me at least twice as long to do.
What I’ve Learned
Ripping out the bathroom initially took a lot longer and was a lot more difficult than I had anticipated. This may have been in large part to problems with leaking pipe stops and not having the right tool to undo the bath taps.
Almost every plumbing joint I made leaked the first time around. Compression fittings like to be nice and tight, then they work fine without any PTFE tape or sealant. However, plastic pipe fittings (in particular the water inlet to the toilet cistern and the bath waste) took several attempts to get them sealed. I naively assumed that just fitting the supplied rubber washers would do the job. In the end I resorted to large amounts of silicone sealant – I’d pump this in first time from now on.