However, one of the first things I did was test out my mobile broadband – and there the problem began.
I have an O2 mobile broadband dongle, the ZTE MF100 USB stick. When I originally installed it a small application called O2 Mobile Connect installed and worked a treat for connecting to the O2 service.
After upgrading to OS X Lion the application crashed as soon as it opened – I assume because of a change in an API somewhere. After hunting around the O2 site (and Google) I could find no update on getting the Mobile Connect application to work on Lion, or even where to download it. It would appear that O2 have ditched supplying the ZTE dongles in favour of Huwaei branded sticks.
Anyway, I was damned if I was going to lose my mobile broadband (and I certainly didn’t want to uninstall Lion), so here’s how I eventually got the stick working:
- Open System Preferences
- Click on the plus sign to Create a new service
- Choose ZTEUSBModem as the interface
- Name the service O2 Mobile Broadband (or something recognisable)
- Set Telephone Number to *99#
- Set Account name to 02web
- Set Password to password
Note that this is for Pay Monthly Broadband – I think the details are different for Pay & Go customers.
Key step: set DNS server to 18.104.22.168
And hey presto, I now have mobile broadband working again.
Hope this helps anyone out there trying to get it working.